Get Spirits of Just Men: Mountaineers, Liquor Bosses, and Lawmen in the Moonshine Capital of the World PDF by Charles D. Thompson Jr.
CAUTION! If links below aren't work, disable your AdBlock.
Spirits of Just Men: Mountaineers, Liquor Bosses, and Lawmen in the Moonshine Capital of the World
|Author:||Charles D. Thompson Jr.|
|Rating:||3.3 of 5 stars|
|Original Format:||Paperback, 304 pages|
|Download Formats:||mobi, pdf, odf, lit, ibooks, azw, epub, fb2, oxps|
|Publisher:||April 20th 2011 by University of Illinois Press (first published April 19th 2011)|
|Tags:||Mystery Crime History|
|Original Title:||Spirits of Just Men: Mountaineers, Liquor Bosses, and Lawmen in the Moonshine Capital of the World|
Spirits of Just Men tells the story of moonshine in 1930s America, as seen through the remarkable location of Franklin County, Virginia, a place that many still refer to as the "moonshine capital of the world." Charles D. Thompson Jr. chronicles the Great Moonshine Conspiracy Trial of 1935, which made national news and exposed the far-reaching and pervasive tendrils of Appalachia's local moonshine economy. Thompson, whose ancestors were involved in the area's moonshine trade and trial as well as local law enforcement, uses the event as a stepping-off point to explore Blue Ridge Mountain culture, economy, and political engagement in the 1930s. Drawing from extensive oral histories and local archival material, he illustrates how the moonshine trade was a rational and savvy choice for struggling farmers and community members during the Great Depression.
Local characters come alive through this richly colorful narrative, including the stories of Miss Ora Harrison, a key witness for the defense and an Episcopalian missionary to the region, and Elder Goode Hash, an itinerant Primitive Baptist preacher and juror in a related murder trial. Considering the complex interactions of religion, economics, local history, Appalachian culture, and immigration, Thompson's sensitive analysis examines the people and processes involved in turning a basic agricultural commodity into such a sought-after and essentially American spirit.
See Also in History
- Review Social Darwinism in American Thought by Richard Hofstadter, Eric Foner PDF
- Free online download The Dress of the People: Everyday Fashion in Eighteenth-Century England PDF by John Styles
- Read Fifty Things You Need To Know About British History PDF by Hugh Williams
- Review Afghanistan: A Military History from Alexander the Great to the War Against the Taliban by Stephen Tanner PDF
- Download for free The Rough Guide to the Titanic by Greg Ward FB2
- Find Hacks, Sycophants, Adventurers, and Heroes: Madison's Commanders in the War of 1812 by David Fitz-Enz ePub
- Read online Paris Underground by Tamara Hovey DJVU
- Download online for free Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard PDF
- Download Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45 by Roger Moorhouse PDF
- Review Religion and the Decline of Magic PDF by Keith Thomas, Hilary Mantel